Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Home Stretch - Literally

I have no foundation for this reasoning but I believe the Higher Powers of Baby Making allow for a nice first pregnancy in order to convince mothers that having a second baby isn't too bad of an idea.

Not that I had an awful pregnancy this time around. Google "pregnancy nightmares" and I am sure you will find women in much more precarious positions than me, but since Austin was SUCH smooth sailing and I was making it to the gym until the day before delivery, I admit I am/was a little surprised with Baby 2.

The first trimester was rough with nausea and exhaustion daily - in addition to the added responsibility of parenting Child #1 - which was obviously not in the picture back in 2011. I think the worst part of my nausea was it never resulted in vomiting. It was just living with "hang over stomach" throughout the day - which gets old after about 2 minutes.

Second semester - as for most women was bliss as was much of the third semester until Week 34 or so.

As of today, Week 38 and change, Baby 2's head is "very low" in my cervix and 3 cm dilated. Now until about 12 hours ago, 3 cms didn't mean anything to me but THEN I found this very helpful image.

As you can see, this measurement translates to a banana slice and "very low" means head is in such a position that nerve pain consistently shoots down my legs from my groin area resulting in 1) a gangster limp, 2) a squat walk, or 3) the walk two steps-then squat/stretch move. All of which are awesome if you are in public. I am also fortunate enough to pee every 2 hours.

What I find least comforting about this image is the bagel. That is as big as we are getting so if we are LUCKY a baby is coming out of a bagel. Awesome. Let's do this 10 more times!

I also would like to use this time to apologize to Baby 2 for poorly documenting his incubation period. With Austin, I was much more in tune with his sizes, what parts were developing when, and what fruit he was comparable to in size. Baby 2 - I am sorry but I promise to record your actually Delivery Day with the same detail and dedication as I did for your big brother.