Friday, October 30, 2015

And Baby Makes 4!

If you have a flair for the dramatic, I was in labor for 14 hours.

"Pain", "a funny feeling", "something" started happening about 4:30am on Tuesday, October 27th but I'm not sure if it qualifies as labor. I had gotten my membrane swiped the day before so my doctor suggested "something" might happen in the next 48 hours but then again in might not. Such is the way of labor and delivery.

Needless to say, Tuesday we waited.
We played Lego Batman and waited.
We went for a walk around the block and waited.
We ate Tostitos and triple checked our suitcase and waited.
We bought Austin a new Halloween costume since he decided he wanted to be a dinosaur and not a fireman - and then we waited.
We waited and then waited some more.

Austin was at my parents most of the day and around 2:00 I had enough of my mom guilt and told them to bring him home. Wednesday the 28th was his birthday and I didn't want him to feel ditched. He arrived around 4:00, we ate dinner around 6:00, and then by 7:00 I was calling my parents to come back since "real things were happening".

The funny thing about contractions, I think, is they are inconsistent until they are consistent. I swiftly went from 20-30 minute intervals of "I think this is one" to 4-8 minute intervals of "here we go!".

The drive to St.Peter's this time around was slightly less intense than three years ago. Of course our GPS decided to take us a wonky way into New Brunswick where we hit some Rutgers student/evening commuter traffic but I did not have the same "I am going to give birth in a truck" feeling.

Because it was a full moon, Labor and Delivery was packed by time we arrived but because the situation was less dire than with Austin, we were able to calmly park the car as a couple, go through Admissions together, and have the luxury of waiting in the "waiting area" (aka hallway) until a room was available.  We also had the (mis)fortune of catching the latest episode of Celebrity Wife Swap. I have never been more embarrassed to have been born in Staten Island, thank you Big Ang.

Dr. B showed up around 8:30 and waited with us. It was during this time I realized that contractions in public are awkward. I don't know it imtimate is the right word but I found that every time one came, which was at an even 4 minutes by now, I tried to hold it in. Like a fart or something? I didn't want to be that loud laboring woman in the hall way. Is that weird? Maybe it is but that is how I felt. Dr. B must have noticed because he said "Maybe if you look a little more pained, they will get you a room faster" and that made sense, so after awhile I just went with it.

By 9:30ish we were given a room and I was 6cm.
Do you want an epidural?

Ummm. No? What do you think?.... I think I can do it without one... (said quasi-assertively but not really)

So we broke my water, I shot up to 8cm, things got REALLY real, and I immediately regretted my no epidural decision.

And then I pushed. Hard.
Harder.
Hardest.
I said a bad word and then apologized for it. I tried taking 4 second rests and pushing on 5. I did a very sexy behind-the-thigh-heavy-ho kind of push and eventually.....



We welcomed Brendan Richard Lathroum into the world at 10:10pm on October 27, 2015 and the Mets lost to the Royals in 14 innings - the longest game in World Series history tied with 2005's  Game 3 Chicago White Sox 7 - Houston Astros 5.