Monday, February 24, 2014

Proud Working Mom

As a working mom, I am proud of many things but one of the top three is that we have a home cooked meal for dinner at least five nights a week. Usually by Friday, I am spent and take out seems like a fantastic option but since I have the ability to spend Sunday's prepping for the upcoming week - things usually work out okay.

I am not one to create my own recipes and Pinterest has become a close personal friend of mine but the other night I was craving meatball subs and decided to take a stab at creating my own. I also had some random items in the fridge that I was looking to use and this is what I came up with:

Pesto Meatball Subs, serves 4 or 5; 
1 pound of ground meat ( I used
http://www.laurasleanbeef.com/products/ground-beef
but you could use anything from beef to turkey)
1/4 cup of ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon of pesto sauce 
1 egg
Fresh Mozzarella
Tomato Sauce
Buns (we used whole wheat hot dog buns)

Preheat oven to 375*
Add the first 4 ingredients into a bowl and mix well, but don't over handle, and make into mini meatballs. I was able to make 14. 
Bake between 20 and 25 minutes. 
Meanwhile slice mozzarella into thin slices and place buns on another cookie sheet. 


Once the meatballs are done, place 3 in each bun and top with cheese. 
Broil for about 5 minutes or until cheese melts to your liking.
(Make sure this step has your undivided attention and you don't start playing magnets with your 15 month old or else you might have crispy buns)

Once out of the oven, top with sauce and serve! 

What I like about adding the sauce last is the bun doesn't become soggy and the flavor of the meatballs isn't lost. 

This meal can also, easily be made ahead, frozen, or adjusted to meet the needs of your eaters.