Friday, May 10, 2013

Why I don't Nap

By Austin

Grandma tells mom I nap for two hours the days they watch me, while mom is at work
but I know for a fact she doesn't believe them because when it's just us, I go berserk!

I wake up real early, while the sun's still asleep but lay in my bed with my binky in hand
then my tummy rumbles and I give a cry. Since I have her trained - mom arrives on command.

She'll bring my bottle, change my diaper, give me a kiss. She'll dress me into fresh threads
And for the rest of the day, I'm fairly certain, that is the last time I'll be in my bed.

After a bottle or pureed sweet yams, I may dose for twenty minutes or so
But don't think you'll have time to vacuum or dust because when I wake up, I'm ready to go

for a walk
for a bounce
for tummy time with dad
for a snack
for a toy
for a roll on the floor
for new diaper
and for some hugs
for any attention you have, I want more..

I know you'll entertain me, you'll gaggle and goo when I flash my million dollar grin
And you'll forfeit, surrender, your pressing chores because - let's face it - I'm going to win.

Now I know you're sneaky - and I'm on to your game - when you take the car for a ride
to no where specific, around the block, to lull me to sleep by the hum of the drive.

Or to pack up the stroller, with a blanket and lovey, while I'm rocked to sleep by the gravel below
but who are you kidding? This walk will only get another ten minutes or so.

Accept your fate, your powers are helpless, although I have to admit, you fight a good fight
but you know that you won't have your free time until I decide to call it a night.