Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Case is STILL Open!

Now that Austin has successfully entered the world, I feel like the title of my blog - The Case of the Missing Period - needs to be reassessed. I am flirting with the idea of a new title but first, let's acknowledge the period - or lack there of.

Again, a romantic topic that women love speaking of and one I just can't get enough of - literally. My last date with the Medela breast pump was February 4th. I know this because I found myself in the bathroom plugging away for the last time after the Raven's won the Superbowl and wishing (as I do every year) the game was played on a Saturday. The adults at our Superbowl Party barely outnumbered the 5 children under 2 years old so with the exception of "who won the game?", I, as the host, could answer very few questions about the game's progress.
My Brave Little Toaster!

After ending my love/hate relationship with breastfeeding, I googled away to determine how long it would take for me to get my period back. This was done for several reasons, of course, but most of all I didn't want to have another situation as I  had in Boston and be caught off guard. Friends said a month or two, the internet said the same, and Dr. H suggested early April. Well, we are just about to cross the threshold from early to mid-April and I am still periodless. Am I surprised? Not really.

The good news is should Baby #2 need to be an IVF baby, the worst part of the process is over. We have 5 of Austin's siblings hanging out in a freezer somewhere waiting to be implanted in my uterus. This means no tummy shots, no enlarged follicles, and no retrieval. Essentially DJ and I would be able to schedule our next pregnancy and go in for the transfer. I will still have to get the progesterone shots, which is annoying, but at least I have experienced them before, survived, and made a baby. The bad news is - well - where the heck is my period and what does this mean long term? What will my birth control options be? Do I even need birth control? Will I age in a weird way because I am not menstruating?