Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Skinny on Skin

Last week was Petry's 24 week visit and he/she is moving along and growing steadily. My placenta also moved out of the way so I can move full steam ahead into my 3rd trimester. August 3rd will be the official 3 months-to-go point.


I had thought I had lucked out and beaten a majority of the pregnancy side effects, but my skin decided to join in the fun this week while I was at the beach it became super sensitive. It started as an itch on my chest which I attributed to sun burn, but eventually it attacked my arms. By the time I left the beach, I was all red, but not from the sun - from the constant scratching. I did find relief in the ocean so, because I was too stubborn to call it a day and head back to the house, I continuously went in and out of it.
Avalon, NJ - 26 weeks
Sensitive skin during pregnancy is another body change caused by insane hormones. It can come out of nowhere and range from skin irritation to heat rash (in my case) to the stretching of skin in the belly, hips, thighs, and butt (always a cool place to scratch).  Irritation can be sparked by lotions, detergents, heat, and even foods, but the good news is they will pass after pregnancy. In my case, as soon as I was out of the sun/heat, my skin relaxed and felt back to normal.

I am more of less over the break out/acne stage that comes with pregnancy, but I attribute part of that to a good sun tan. So far, knock on wood, I have also beaten spider or varicose veins cause by increased blood flow. These squiggley little capillaries pop out on the surface of the skin and may not go away on their own. According to my parents I have "my dad's legs" which is good and may spare me from this little side effect.

Friday, August 8th is my glucose tolerance test which should be pretty lame. This test determines if I/Petry suffer from gestational diabetes or glucose intolerance.