Thursday, May 10, 2012

I used to run 13 of these? In a row?

According to my "What to Expect" ap (very official), Petrie is the size of a naval orange but only 2 to 3 ounces in weight. Funny - because he/she feels much heavier than that.

Now that I have successfully sailed into my second trimester and Petrie has passed the growth rate and the down syndrome test, I have been given the go ahead to go back to my "normal" routine at the gym. "Normal" being the operative word in that it's really nothing but.

On January 28th, I remember it well, I felt it would be my last kick ass gym day before undergoing full fledged follicle growth then retrieval then transfer and then the two week wait. For that reason, I ran 8 miles at a nice clip on the treadmill and then killed time on the bike to catch the end of a morning talk show. I didn't think twice about it because that's how I roll.

At thirteen weeks I decided to revisit my old friend and go for a run - well a jog - ok, it was more like a trot. Ever mindful of the runners around me, I decided if I couldn't run above 5.5 I would just walk or switch to the bike. I have my pride.

After twelve minutes, I was undecided as to whether I really had to pee or if I had eaten a brick sometime during the day. It was a mix of those two feelings in my lower abdominal region that forced me to call it a day BUT I managed to go over a mile and it was a victory.
The other day I made it about 4 miles with water breaks every ten minutes or so. I felt this was a good deal, but I remained astonished that once upon a time I was training for half marathons, mud runs, and warriors dashes.

Not I have no expectations of being Paula Radcliffe who won the New York Marathon less than 10 months after giving birth to her first child or at five months pregnant with her second child was running 14 miles a day in her efforts to stay in shape for London in 2012. Nor will I be Amber Miller who despite being almost 39 weeks pregnant when she hit the starting line of the Chicago Marathon, Miller ran through labor contractions and the unusually warm 77-degree day to finish the race.
She delivered a healthy daughter about 7 1/2 hours later.

But jogging during pregnancy does have clear benefits for both baby and me so I hope to give it my all or my 80%. According to Livestrong.com, jogging and other forms of exercise during your pregnancy can increase your energy level and give your mood a boost. Continuing to jog during your pregnancy also keeps your muscles strong and toned and even helps you sleep better. Continuing your jogging routine also reduces your risk for developing increased blood pressure and diabetes associated with pregnancy. Staying active throughout your pregnancy prepares your body for labor and delivery and also increases your chances of regaining your pre-pregnancy body more quickly.