Monday, May 21, 2012

The Birth of Athena

No, we aren't naming our first born Athena, but here is a little history:

 Athena was named as the favorite daughter of Zeus, born fully armed from his forehead. The most common story of her birth occured when Zeus lay with Metis, the goddess of crafty thought and wisdom. Eventually Zeus experienced an enormous headach and one of his sons cleaved Zeus's head with the double-headed axe. Athena leaped from Zeus's head, fully grown and armed. She went on to become the goddess of wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law and justice, just warfare, mathematics, strength, strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill

Although Zeus himself wasn't pregnant, or maybe he was, headaches are not uncommon during pregnancy and mine seems to be riddled with them. Usually I have two or three nights a week when I have to turn in early because it feels like a steam engine is pushing against my right eyebrow with avengence.

According to  WomensHealthCareTopics.com, Migraine headaches during pregnancy are an often unwanted but sometimes common side effect of pregnancy. If you experienced migraines prior to pregnancy, you will find your condition either drastically improves or possibly gets worse during pregnancy. Fantastic.
A migraine headache is typically characterized by a dull aching that eventually worsens until the patient feels a strong, pulsating pain usually on one side of the head or temples. Migraines are often accompanied by vomiting, nausea and in some cases an aura. 
As with other pregnancy drama, raging pregnancy hormones are to blame but that are also paired with changes in nerve pathways, an imbalance of brain chemicals (including serotonin, which helps regulate pain in your nervous system), and altered blood flow to the brain.


In elementary school I had migraines pretty regularly and knew they were caused by smells. I remember one time I had been swimming in an indoor pool at a resort and while my mom dug threw her bag our hotel room key, I ran down the hall to puke in a trash can by the vending machines. They also came after horseback riding lessons, sometimes after my tap classes at Cindy Smith Dance Studio, or after spending too many times in one of those potpourri scented country shops.

The worst I, to date, that I can remember was after our road trip to Georgia. DJ and I had spent about 10 hours in the car and towards the end of our drive, I felt one brewing. Back at the house, I thought my head was going to explode and could not put enough pressure on my head to make it go away. Ugh, it was the pits. I can't remember, but I think I ended up throwing up and feeling 110% better immediately.

Migraines are such a funny thing.