Monday, March 26, 2012

A little scare

Yesterday morning Petire gave us a little scare. I woke up at 7:15 to pee and noticed blood on the toilet paper. It wasn't a lot and I wasn't in pain, but of course I went directly into panic mode. I have no personal experiences with miscarriages but from what I have learned in the movies (The Help and Revolutionary Road), blood is never a good sign.

In a voice somewhere between panic, hysterics, and assertiveness I woke up my husband and we sprung into action. Again the staff at IRMS came through in a pinch and put me in contact with the on call nurse. Although her voice had concern, she was 100% calmer than I was and told me we could head on over and meet with the doctor. Phew!

By 8:00 we were at St. Barnabas and by 8:20 I was perched on the paper laden table waiting to be seen. I don't remember the doctor's name, but it was the same woman that did my retrieval. Super nice, kind, and the beared of good news.

"Things look great in there!" she said as she played Petrie's heart beat.
"162 beats per minute" she told the nurse. "Very strong"

She wasn't exactly sure what caused the bleeding but the ultrasound showed no need for concern. She asked how I was doing on my medication and how the injections were coming. I guess they were coming along as well as nightly shots in the butt could go and I was delighted to learn this may be the last week of them. She told me to reduce the dose from 1 CC to 1/2 CC and I  have to go back Tuesday morning for a follow up.

At 8 weeks webbed fingers and toes are poking out from Petrie's hands and feet, his/her eyelids practically cover his eyes, breathing tubes extend from his/her throat to the branches of his/her developing lungs, and his/her "tail" is just about gone. In Petrie's brain, nerve cells are branching out to connect with one another, forming primitive neural pathways.

On my end, I am exhausted and nap to a point of embarrassment. I pee and need a nap. I go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and need a nap. I eat dinner and need a nap. Its a little pathetic. I am also starting to feel heavy and bloated. I'm having a hard time embracing that since I've always been someone who works to maintain her weight and be healthy that I am working very hard to get my head around enjoying weight gain.

After this week I move on from the wonderful ladies at IRMS to my new gyno. He came recommended by my regular gyno since she doesn't deliver babies although I would love if she made an exception. Like I said, at first I was hesitant to have doctors check things out up there, but after the HSG, my legs are an open book :) (medically speaking).