Monday, March 19, 2012

A grand adventure is about to begin - Winne the Pooh

I have a little catching up to do. I went in to my appointment thinking Petrie was 5 weeks along but I learned I am actually 7 weeks pregnant as far as my due date is concerned. The reason for this you are actually "pregnant" before you are pregnant.

The Last Menstrual Period Method or LMP is the standard method. You add 28 days to day one of your last menstruation. If you remember from an earlier post, this was January 28th when I was in Boston and totally unprepared for a period. The 28th was also two weeks before my transfer, catching me up from 5 weeks to 7 weeks.  For most women this measure is not as exact but I guess in my case since everything from preparation to conception was so scheduled, I'm on target.

Other pregnancy calculators at the Basal Body Temperature and Lutenizing Hormone (LH) measurement which checks on your basal body temperature or the surge of LH. It indicates the occurrence of ovulation, the time of intercourse, and the date of fertilization. If you are sure of your fertilization date, then you simply have to add 266 days to get your due date. I'm not exactly sure what this means but you are still adding in two weeks of wiggle room.
Further proof, of course, is my weekly ultrasound. This morning I heard Petrie's heart beat and saw a glimpse of his/her developing spine. Most of the growth is concentrated in the head as new brain cells are generated at the rate of 100 per minute. Petrie's mouth and tongue are forming as arm and leg buds sprout, and those little kidneys are getting ready to do their job. Here is a little cartoon picture of what Petrie looks like - http://3dpregnancy.parentsconnect.com/calendar/7-weeks-pregnant.html. I think it looks like a lizard of sorts.

According to all my pregnant or once pregnant friends, I should be experiencing morning sickness, food aversion, cravings, breast tenderness, etc. but for the most part I am still very much the same. I did sleep 60% of Sunday (which was awesome and pathetic at the same time) but other than being tired, I feel good. If I wasn't being told I was pregnant every Monday, I would just think I wasn't sleeping well at night.