Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hello Charlie

One of the more frustrating elements of the IVF process is the timeline.

Every other day, or in today's case two consecutive days, I go in for blood work and ultrasound. This is done to check my hormones, count and measure my follicles, and change dosages if needed. Since I am getting close to retrieval, its been tricky because I have to plan around work and, more annoying than that, work travel.
At the end of my visit this morning, I was told the HSG shot would be soon which would actually be ideal since next week is pretty sparse and I more or less planned to be free that week. HSG stimulates all my little eggies and gets their ready for retrieval. It is also the first shot I have to get in my bum.

Because each day I get a medical and calendar update, I feel like a less sexy version of a Charlie's Angel. The IRMS nurse, Jen M., being Charlie, calls me each afternoon and gives me an update on my plan. Sometimes its come back in for blood work, some times in changing a dosage, or some times its just letting me know to keep doing what I'm doing. Hopefully the next call will be "ok your retrieval is on day X and we can get all those swollen follicles out of your ovaries".

Which leads me to my next topic - ovaries. I mentioned in yesterday but I realized I had been spoiled. My ovaries started to really grow Friday afternoon allowing me to sit in sweat pants most of the night, into Saturday, and get away with dressing down Sunday for the Superbowl. I was able to sit on couches, use a heating pad, or sit in fetal position as needed.
Today I am in the office and I don't really know if busting out a yoga pose will fly.
When getting dressed, I stared blankly at my closet convinced my pants weren't going to fit me and certain this bloating in my belly would be a dead give away of my situation. Fortunately I lost weight before my wedding and kept it off (so far) so I was able to reach back and get a pair of "big" pants and an over sized sweater.
Walking is also an issue because its more comfortable for me to crouch forward a little or shrug my shoulders down. Of course DJ thinks it looks ridiculous but to hell with looks for the time being. Again, the Quasimodo walk may turn a few heads at work so I've been pretty conscious about my posture.

No other news to report at the moment. I've just been drinking a lot of water, becoming close personal friends with the stationary bike at the gym, and doing my best to stick to the weight lifting plan DJ created for me. Interestingly, although I  miss running terribly just thinking about it today made my ovaries hurt.