Saturday, February 11, 2012

Gone Fishin'

Retrieval Day!! YaY!

Yesterday we headed to the Atkin-Kents Building across the street from St. Barnabas Hospital to get my follicles into their petri dishes for fertilization.
My appointment was at 11:00 and I had been fasting from midnight the night before. Surprisingly I wasn't very hungry by time I was called in by the doctor.
I changed into my gown, bathrobe, and put on my "hat" (it looked like a thin blue shower cap) so I looked like I was institutionalized.
Holy hotness!

I met with Dr. G prior to the retrieval and she was super nice. She talked me though the procedure and then I met with the anesthesiologist, Dr. Chung. I don't think we had the same bond as I had with Dr. G, but he make sure I didn't have any loose teeth that I would swallow while I was under.

In the surgical suite, I laid down with my feet in stirrups and my arms outstretched for the anesthesia. Somewhere between the nurses asking about my wedding and how I knew I needed IVF, I was out for the count. Here is a Youtube video of the retrievel process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfGWxGYFETo. They have videos for everything!
Meanwhile, while I was in the procedure, DJ went and donated his boys.

I guess it was an hour or so later I woke up in recovery and had the nicest nurse ever prop me up and make me comfortable. It was glorious. I think one of the first questions I asked was how many they got and she said "28". Now I was a little groggy at the time but I decided not too many numbers sound like 28, so I think I heard correctly. According to the nurse, Wanda, in our medication class, 50% of the follicles received make it to transfer so that's 14. All good numbers!

I was transferred from my bed to some kind of reclining chair and chowed down on graham crackers and cranberry juice. I was a little slow going, but felt okay for the most part. DJ met me, I changed out of my patient clothes, and we called it a day.

My parents met us at home with soup and sandwiches which was awesome and I spent the rest of the day in sweatpants following my instructions that included:
1. Don't drive
2. Don't operate heavy machinery
3. Don't make any important decisions, such as signing legal documents.
I thought the last one was funny.

Before dinner we took my first progesterone shot and it was not awesome. The needle is the longest of the bunch so far and needs to go right into the butt muscle. Also the progesterone is thick, like olive oil, so it doesn't come out of the needle easily as one would like.

This morning I hoped to wake up light as a feather, go to my yoga class, and start feeling back to my old self again but had no such luck. Instead I got up at 5:00am and watched The Confessions of Animal Hoarders where a woman had 60 dogs. She did make me feel better about myself but I was jealous that her ovaries (or Ovi Wankanovies - as DJ calls them) weren't sore.
Now, as I type this, I am watching my 3 episode of Law & Order.
I'm a loser.

I'm hoping the soreness goes away later in the deal so I can stop looking like the woman in the depression commercial: