Thursday, January 12, 2012

I say a little prayer for you....

I am opening this post by stating I am not a religious person. I have my all of my sacraments, but when it came to getting approved sponsorship to be godmother to my cousin's daughter - it was a huge pain in the ass and I was reminded why some people are hesitant to stick with the church. They asked for a $500 donation in return for a silly signature on my god-parent permission slip which is just insane ...but I digress.

My traditional gynecologist, Dr. H. is not a religious person either but as we discussed my fertility options, she shared a story with me about a certain saint and how sometimes it pays to believe a little.

Saint Gerard is the patron saint of motherhood, childbirth, unborn children etc. He had a sad little life and ultimately died at the age of 29 of tuberculosis but he was not without is miracles and apparently there is a nice little shrine set up in beautiful Newark, NJ. Here is his wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Gerard_Majella

Anyway, Dr. H was having trouble conceiving and had decided that children were just not in her cards. After sharing this news with her family, she received a little pin in the mail from her mother - a pin of St. Gerard. As I said, she wasn't religious but thought, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" and pinned the pin to her bra strap.
She never got her period again and was blessed with a son.
She, then, shared her success story with one of her patients (who happened to be Jewish) and she received the same success therefore passing it along to her friends. This chain-pinning has resulted in at lease seven St. G babies.

Going with the "join 'em" mantra, I received a little St. Gerard pin for Christmas and stuck him to my pillowcase. Who knows if it will work, but its one of those ideas where every little bit helps and if I have to pick and chose my saints (I am also a fan of Saint Anthony when I lose my stuff), then so be it. It might not be a first class ticket into heaven, but it could leave me with a bun in the oven.


St. Gerard Prayer for Motherhood (via SaintGerard.com):
O good Saint Gerard, powerful intercessor before God and Wonderworker of our day, I call upon thee and seek thy aid. Thou who on earth didst always fulfill God’s designs, help me to do the holy Will of God. Beseech the Master of Life, from Whom all paternity proceedeth, to render me fruitful in offspring, that I may raise up children to God in this life and heirs to the Kingdom of His Glory in the world to come. Amen.