Friday, December 23, 2011

Holy Bikram Batman!

As an alternative to running, I was encouraged to consider yoga. There are all kinds and if you google "yoga for conception" or "yoga for ovulation", you will come up with some interesting stuff. Now, I will begin by stating that I was a yoga skeptic. I went to 2 yoga classes in my life and found myself going to the gym before or after. I didn't have the head for it. I thought the little meditation oms were corny, and I thought it was a celebrity fad. Also Jennifer Aniston does it and I can't stand her so I want to have as little in common with her as possible.
During my two classes,  I remember looking at my watch, pumped for the class to end so I could go on with my life - so when it was suggested for my current situation, I was kind of bummed.

Then Groupon had an offer for 30 bikram yoga classes for $49 (usually a $450 value). It may have been fate that the timing was so on point, but I got the Groupon and figured if I went to 4 or 5 classes, I would make my money back anyway.

So I show up on Wednesday night and I know the room is going to be warm so when I walked in, I thought "this isn't so bad" and sat on my new yoga mat waiting for the class to start. Fast forward fifty minutes into class, the temperature jacked up to 102*, I'm sweating from places I didn't even know could sweat, and I am coming in and out of tunnel vision doing some kind of camel pose or another. I started the class thinking, I'm a hard-ass. I run half marathons, bike, and tae-bo. I'm an athlete.A little sweat and bending's got nothing on me.
I was wrong.
This is hard and exhausting and draining. Your mind is clear because you are focused on your breathing, keeping sweat from your eyes, and not falling over into the person next to you.
The class is 90 minutes and I don't know if I have ever been so beat in my life. There was definitely no post-yoga gym trip after this class.
This morning was my second class and I think I hydrated a little better before and after class, but there were still a few poses I needed to rest through before joining back with the group. 2 down, 28 to go!

Also I had more blood work yesterday to finalize a few things before I start my drug regiment. As with any major procedure, I am going for a second opinion with a different fertility group on Wednesday, the 28th but I really like the ladies at IRMS so I'm still planning on continuing with them no matter what.

The latest tests will check for Polycystic Ovary Syndrom (PCOS).  From the Mayo Clinic's website,
PCOS is a disorder involving infrequent or prolonged menstrual periods. The ovaries develop numerous small cysts and may fail to release eggs. PCOS is the most common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age. Women with polycystic ovary syndrome may have trouble becoming pregnant due to infrequent or lack of ovulation.
IF you have PCOS, the drug Clomid - mentioned in a previous post - will work; however if I have hypothalamic amenorrhea (which Dr. K suspects) the clomid may not work because part of my brain, that gets my hormones going, has temporality shut off because of intense exercise and lean body mass (which would normally be a very flattering compliment from a physician). Clomid is there to "revv" up the brain to get the hormones working, but if the signals are suppressed, the drug doesn't have a basis for working.
I will report back after the follow up and then I am off for vacation for 5 days in Dublin and maybe the "luck of the Irish" will do some good.
Until then - Happy Holidays  and Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!