Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Boo. Hiss.

So we make too much money to be approved for free medication from Fertility Lifelines which is pretty lame. There is still one more option - a "GoCard" that saves a certain dollar a mount on medications from participating pharmacies. The savings isn't as glamorous but savings is savings.

My annual gynie visit went as per usual and there were no new surprises to report. Thank goodness. I feel like I have a whole practice of women rooting for me through this process. As I mentioned, I'm not entirely "out" yet, but those who are in the know have just been great. Once things get underway, there will be a lot of thank you notes to be sent.

One place where I have decided good news will NOT be posted is Facebook. As of December, I have gotten rid of my account because its bad for my mental health. I always thought it was a bit much for people to post their ultrasound  pictures on Facebook. You can't even see anything. Its a darkened splotch against other darkened splotches and everyone just "likes" it because its the polite thing to do. I am going to venture a guess and say that 50% of those "Likers" could really care less.
I also have a beef with the sideways shots. "Here I am sideways against a wall" and "Here I am sideways on my front steps". If people really want to see how fat I am, come look at me. If you are close enough a friend or family member, you will probably have direct access to my horizontal growth and can see it with your own eyes. Also - its not really something I want to brag about.
The following article is from Redbook Magazine (I think) about women who have baby envy and how social media causes a divide between them and others: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2102376/Baby-envy-The-new-social-divide.html

All of these seemed commonplace and more or less non issues until I had an issue getting pregnant - isn't that the way? Its like getting an alarm system after you've been robbed. You weren't scared of your neighborhood before, but now you are. In my case, pregnancy announcements didn't piss me off until I couldn't get pregnant. But like any great (or not so great) experience I have learned my lesson and here is a short list:
1. Do not ask married couples when they are going to get pregnant. Not only is it annoying in general, but if you are like me - its salt in an open wound
2. No one really needs to see my pregnancy progress. I will happily send you pictures or even do a world tour to visit you- but Facebook isn't the place for it
3. Although we started off with this in place and then we lost it and now we are kind of back on it, the rules of Baby Making should be like Fight Club (http://vimeo.com/7929772) . The first rule of baby making is don't talk about baby making. This way no one can pressure you, assume a time line, or be all up in your Baby Making business.
4. Do not take your period for granted. When you are 14 years old and you are trying to play soccer with a yacht sized maxi pad between your legs, you may find it hard to believe - but you will miss your period one day.
5. Pay attention in Health Class. Hindsight is 20/20 but I would have spent a lot less time Googling things if I had paid more attention to Ms. Gibney (or Gibson?) in 5th grade and Mr. White in 10th.
6. Marry a good person. Although your parents, friends, cousins, aunts, uncles, and doctors will provide the utmost support for you and be nothing but wonderful - your husband has to live with you. He has to be prepared for your out-of-the-blue breakdowns, your rants, and your constant "look what I found on WebMD" claims
6. Keep a sense of humor. You will need it!