Sunday, December 11, 2011

"The best thing in life is free...But you can give it to the birds an' bees"

As I mentioned in a previous post, Compassionate Care is an organization that helps people like me pay for the drug portion of IVF. I finally found their site and its fertilitylifelines.com.

Once the process gets underway, I am going to be one of those people that have the MTWTFSS pill boxes so I know what to take on which date. Here is a short list:
GnRH Agonists - Lupron, taken as an injection just below the skin. It allow the body to produce a greater number of high quality eggs during the treatment cycle. (I am super excited about this one because who doesn't want to give themselves injections. Holler!)
Antagonists - used to prevent premature ovulation. These medications are given by injection and the duration of treatment is usually three or four days. (OMG! Another injection! Couldn't be more pumped!)
Gonadotropins - provide stimulation to the follicles that contain the eggs during the stimulation phase.
hCG -  are taken as an intramuscular injection and are used to induce the final maturational changes in the eggs and prepare them for retrieval.
Medrol - a steroid hormone given daily, typically for a period of four days during the cycle, to assist pre-embryo implantation.
Doxycycline - Doxycycline, an antibiotic administered in pill form (Thank goodness), is given to the male partner (oh wait - that's for DJ - not fair!) during the wife's stimulation cycle to reduce the low levels of bacteria that may be found in the semen and which may compromise the performance of the sperm during an IVF cycle. It is also given to the female partner to reduce the risk of infection following aspiration of the follicles at the time of egg retrieval.
Progesterone - taken as a daily intramuscular injection beginning two days after egg retrieval and continuing until the placenta is making adequate amounts of Progesterone. Progesterone can also be given in the form of a vaginal gel or vaginal suppositories or pills (Hot!)
Now I haven't been given prescriptions for all of these bad boys yet and I am guessing the injected ones might be power packed into one shot - which would be nice. If not, I could look like a junkie at the end of this with all my puncture wounds. As I do more research and get a more finite list of medication, I will be sure to inform you.

Here is an education video if you are interested: http://www.fertilitylifelines.com/fertilitytreatments/ovulationinduction.jsp
(I think Treatment Day 13 is my favorite, it makes me think of Ovarian Space Travel)

Tuesday I have an appointment with my regular OB/GYN so I may have a more educated post after that appointment. I also have a dentist appointment that day. All of my orifices are getting checked out.